Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The 50th State Is Where I'll Be

I'm staying up late and studying up on Hawaii for an upcoming trip I have planned. It's a strange event to consider given my near constant hermit status, but it's a very generous all-expenses paid gift from my mom and I'm grateful for the opportunity. The plan was originally for she and my brother to go, but she recently had hip surgery and won't be able to make it. At first, I considered declining her offer, overwhelmed at the prospect of going to Hawaii while struggling financially here at home. I was gently nudged into saying yes by several friends and loved ones who threatened to kick my butt if I said no.

So here I am downloading surfing podcasts and reading trip reports online. I even have the bus schedule printed out. My brother and I will be staying at a nice resort in Honolulu called the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa. For some reason, it's been awhile since I've enjoyed taking pictures. With this trip in mind, I'm feeling motivated to learn how to get good shots again. Lately it's just been lazy iPhone pics of whatever while the Nikon sits lonely on its shelf.

Thanks to my mom for giving me her ticket. As always, I'm humbled by her generosity. She's recovering nicely from her surgery and I'm sure that she'll be able to make the trip herself next time around.

5 comments:

Kathy T. said...

I've stayed there a couple of times! So here are some tips... the mahi mahi in coconut sauce is TO DIE FOR. Also, look for a tanned old man to walk through the lobby every day (his skin is like leather). When he gets to the beach, you'll love his bathing suit... pantyhose strategically wrapped around his junk. Hahaha...

When are you going? If I have money between now and when you leave, I'd love to meet up so you can pick up my favorite perfume from their gift shop: Hawaiian Class Island Gardenia. Get some for your wife if you can. AND go to Hilo Hattie's for $5 shoes. :)

Most importantly, ENJOY!

SusanA said...

With all good wishes to Mom, congratulations. Once you actually get there it's impossible to have a bad time. As for the camera, it's like riding a bike.

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Hope Mom gets well soon. Dude, are you kidding? You have to go. Even if it's just so we can witness your pictures of the experience. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Dust off that Nikon!

Have a great trip!!

Rebekah

concertblast said...

OK Mike, I expect you to be blogging on the 50th state.
Describe the location, service, weather, etc...

Looking forward to it!

Mike Arnold
Concert Blast